When people think of shoulder injuries, the eldery or athletes generally come to mind. Anyone can feel the effects of shoulder pain due to strain, repetitive motion, or sudden injury. The shoulder allows for a wide range of motion, making the joint more susceptible to injury.
Trusted Shoulder Surgeon
Most shoulder injuries are treatable with non-invasive methods. An Orange County trusted shoulder surgeon – like Dr. Howard Marans – will design the best treatment program to achieve the desired outcome.
Seeking immediate treatment is the best way to ensure an optimal outcome for any shoulder problem. A trusted shoulder surgeon will begin with an accurate diagnosis to determine the cause of pain. The diagnosis will provide the basis for an individualized treatment. With any injury or ailment, specific warning signs, and symptoms will indicate the time is right to see a trusted shoulder surgeon.
- Difficulty using the shoulder with the simplest of movements
- Persistent pain that does not subside after a couple of days
- Shoulder joint pain which may increase during times of rest or disrupt sleeping normal sleeping patterns
- Bruising, redness, swelling, or sign of deformity in shoulder joint area
- Inflammation, fever, or a feeling of heat when touched
- Stiffness of joint
By seeking immediate medical treatment from a trusted shoulder surgeon, a person will be able to receive treatment to return to normal activities. If a shoulder injury goes untreated, further damage, and complications could delay recovery.
Common Shoulder Problems
Common shoulder problems usually arise due to strain, pressure or injury of surrounding muscles, bones, ligaments, or tendons. People often ignore the early warning signs and try to work through the daily pain. The shoulder provides a wide range of movement for the simplest activities. A trusted shoulder surgeon will be able to make an individualized treatment program based on the type of problem, including rotator cuff tears, instability, impingement, joint dislocation, or replacement.
Each person’s treatment options will be based on the type and degree of injury. A trusted shoulder surgeon may start with less invasive methods.
- Rest and minimized use of the shoulder to help promote the healing process
- Ice packs in intervals of twenty minutes every three to four hours or as directed by the health care professional
- Either over the counter or prescribed anti-inflammatory medication to help reduce pain and swelling
- Corticosteroid tablets or injections
- Physical therapy to strengthen the shoulder muscles
- Bracing or other support to keep the shoulder from moving while healing
When the conservative methods fail to help restore the wide range of movement to the shoulder, the orthopedic specialists will generally proceed with surgical options.
- Arthoscopic Surgery: The Doctor inserts a tiny camera through small incisions allowing for surgical instruments to repair damage or remove debris from around the shoulder joint
- Open surgery: Large incision in the shoulder to allow for a full view of the area
- Shoulder manipulation: Gently moving and stretching the shoulder area back into a normal position
Orange County Trusted Shoulder Surgeon
Finding a trusted shoulder surgeon will allow a patient to be comfortable with medical choices throughout the entire treatment program. In Orange County, Dr. Howard Marans has been providing consistent shoulder treatment for over 20 years. From sports injuries – to a degenerative disease – finding the best shoulder treatment is vital for returning to pain-free activities. Please click below to schedule your consultation or call us at 714.979.8981.