An orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor specializing in treating injuries and diseases effecting the musculoskeletal system. The musculoskeletal system includes your bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, and nerves. Injuries treated by an orthopedic surgeon do not always require surgery.
Whenever possible, a conservative, non-surgical treatment approach is taken to heal or correct the injury or problem. However, when surgery is recommended, the best orthopedic surgeon will recommend options based on our particular surgery and rehabilitation needs.
Injuries and Conditions
An orthopedic surgeon can treat a wide range of injuries. From a simple sprained ankle to a complex joint replacement surgery.
Injuries that an orthopedic surgeon would treat include:
- Broken bones
- Shoulder injuries, including torn rotator cuff or impingement syndrome
- Knee injuries, including torn meniscus or ACL
- Sprains and strains
- Tendonitis and bursitis, including infections in the bursa
- Repetitive stress injuries, including carpal tunnel syndrome
- Spine injuries, including herniated or bulging discs
- Degenerative conditions, such as osteoarthritis or osteoporosis
Sometimes you might not be aware that you have a specific injury or condition. However, you should seek medical assistance from an orthopedic surgeon if you are experiencing symptoms such as:
- Difficulty with normal daily activities, i.e. going up and down stairs or carrying groceries from your car
- Persistent pain in joints, muscles or bones
- Bruising or swelling around a joint
- Joint pain that increases while resting
- Inflammation, heat or redness in joint area, which may also be accompanied by a fever
Surgeries an Orthopedic Surgeon Performs
When non-surgical treatments no longer provide relief, your orthopedic surgeon might recommend surgery to relieve your pain and restore proper function to the injured area. For an injury such as a torn ligament, torn meniscus or torn rotator cuff, your surgeon may be able to perform arthroscopy to make needed repairs.
Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical technique that requires one or more small incisions. The surgeon will insert a tiny camera to view the injured area and make the repairs through the incisions. This type of surgery is often performed on an outpatient basis and provides a quicker recovery.
Some surgeries, including joint replacements or complex bone fractures, require traditional open surgeries. In the event a broken bone requires stabilization, an open reduction/internal fixation surgery might be performed.
Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Huntington Beach
When searching for the best orthopedic surgeon in Huntington Beach, Dr. Howard Marans is the choice to make. The Doctor has over two decades of experience treating orthopedic injuries and performing surgeries for patients in the Huntington Beach area. Please click below to schedule your consultation – or – call 714.979.8981.