Orthopedics is specialized area of medicine treating injuries and conditions of the musculoskeletal system. At one time, orthopedic surgeons focused mainly on caring for children suffering from spine and limb deformities, such as clubfoot or scoliosis. Today, the field of orthopedics focuses on patients of all ages from newborns to the elderly.
Orthopedic Surgeon in Tustin, CA
If you are one of the more than 28 million Americans who suffers from some type of orthopedic injury or disorder, you might need to see an orthopedic surgeon. You might be advised to see one by your primary physician or after being treated for a fracture or dislocation in an emergency room. It is also a good idea to see an orthopedic surgeon if you suffer from any of the following symptoms:
- Pain in your leg, arm, back, or neck that interferes with your normal daily activities, including climbing stairs or carrying groceries in from your car
- Persistent pain in your joints, muscles, or tendons lingering for several days
- Joint pain that increases while resting or sleeping
- Injuries where there is swelling or bruising around a joint
- Reduced range of motion, such as being unable to bend your knee or straighten your back
- Heat, inflammation, or redness coming from injured area, which could be a sign of infection
Treatment from an Orthopedic Surgeon
The term orthopedic surgeon can be misleading because not all treatments performed by an orthopedic surgeon actually involve surgery. Often, surgery can be avoided through a conservative, non-surgical approach for many injuries, including:
- Sprains and strains
- Closed fractures
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Torn ligaments
After your injury has been evaluated and diagnosed, your orthopedic treatment may include:
- Rest and avoidance of activities that cause pain
- Heat/ice therapy to reduce swelling, pain, and increase circulation to the injured area
- NSAIDs or pain medication to reduce inflammation and control pain
- Physical therapy to strengthen muscles and maintain or improve range of motion
Surgeries Performed by an Orthopedic Surgeon
If conservative treatments are not likely to fix your orthopedic problem, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend surgery.
Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgery technique where one or more small incisions are made to accommodate a small camera and surgical tools to repair injuries.
- Meniscal or ligament tears to the knee
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Rotator cuff tears or shoulder impingement syndrome
- Herniated discs, bone spurs, or other spine conditions
Open reduction or internal fixation surgery is recommended for bone fractures requiring stabilization using implants including plates, screws, rods, or pins.
Leading Orthopedic Surgeon in Tustin
Dr. Howard Marans is a highly skilled orthopedic surgeon who has served patients in the Tustin, California area for over 20 years. OCOrthopedic+ accepts most insurance plans and Dr. Marans’ new patients are often seen on the day they call.
To schedule your consultation with Dr. Howard Marans, please click the icon below and enter your information online – or – call 714.979.8981.