As a peak performance treatment provider in Santa Ana CA, Dr. Marans prefers to take a conservative, non-surgical approach to treating arthritis. If you are suffering from arthritis pain, avoiding surgery is possible. In most cases, a customized approach to physical therapy will avoid the need for surgery.
- Inflammation of a joint or damage to cartilage is arthritis
- Inflammation is the body’s natural response to an injury – redness, swelling, heat, pain
- Cartilage is padding-like and absorbs shock between bones
- When cartilage is worn away due to inflammation, pain results from the mechanical friction of bones rubbing
Peak Performance Arthritis Treatment Plan
When developing a successful arthritis treatment plan, Dr. Howard Marans considers individual needs of every patients. In most cases, a customized approach to physical therapy will avoid the need for surgery.
A non-surgical approach to arthritis treatment can avoid the need for a complete joint replacement. However, to restore function and control, it may be necessary to operate on a joint affected with arthritis.
Physical therapy and exercise. Initially, the Doctor may send you to physical therapy until you are comfortable doing the exercises on your own at home. This helps you establish a routine. The physical therapist can monitor your progress and suggest adjustments to your exercise plan if pain persists.
Recommendation to lose weight. Being overweight puts extra stress on your joints. This can worsen your osteoarthritis symptoms. If you are obese, you may be able to reduce your symptoms by losing as little as 10% of your body weight.
Taking NSAIDs to relieve pain. The Doctor may recommend that you take over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain-causing inflammation. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and take as needed. NSAIDs can increase your risk of developing a stomach ulcer or abnormal bleeding.
Lifestyle changes. While you may not be able to fully prevent osteoarthritis, you can prevent flare-ups of your symptoms by making a few changes in your lifestyle, including:
- Dietary changes
- Avoiding activities that promote stress on your joints
- Maintaining proper body alignment
OC Orthopedics+ Offers
As a peak performance arthritis treatment provider in Santa Ana CA, Dr. Marans has the education and clinical experience to correct your injury or physical condition.
- Orthopedic Residency at the University of Toronto
- Fellowship at Toronto’s Orthopedic and Arthritic Hospital
- The Doctor completed his Sports Medicine studies at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in South Australia
- Clinical experience and excellence
- Cost-effective surgical treatment – open reduction/internal fixation surgery or arthroscopic surgery
- Compassionate care
- Rapid and permanent recovery
- Accurate diagnosis of the cause of pain
- Complete explanation of treatment options
- Assessing every patient’s expectations from treatment
Peak Performance Arthritis Doctor in Santa Ana CA
Dr. Howard Marans has over 20 years of providing his patients with whole body care and rehabilitation. The Doctor’s mission is to treat all patients in a professional, timely manner.
Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Howard Marans in his new Santa Ana CA location. Please click the icon below – or – call 714.979.8981.